3.7.09

When there's no time for dawdling!



The one thing that puts me off eating out for lunch during the week is the time it takes. Your lunch hour suddenly feels more like a lunch half hour! And the one thing that was putting me off going to Thai Orchid was memories of the last time I went there. It was when I first came to Dublin and I had my birthday dinner there. I thought I liked spicy foods but sure I was as green as the chilli I bit into! I’ll never forget the heat or ‘the pain’ as I described it at the time. I suppose it is no wonder the girls laughed me off as being a Drama Queen with the fuss I made. So today I made my return and avoided the chillies….and the drama!

The décor is warm and inviting with genuine Thai artifacts around the restaurant. The waitress in her traditional dress also gave the restaurant a sense of authenticity. Most of the main courses were priced under €10. I went with the Garlic & Black Pepper Chicken, served with fragrant rice while my colleague went with the Kong Pung Beef. Both dishes were delicious and full of flavour. Of course I started into my meal with the same gusto I devote to all my meals, and admittedly it hit me with about two bites to go. Too late then lady! The damage was done and as expected the food coma began to set in about an hour later. Although I doubt it will deter future trips to this high standard restaurant. The service was friendly yet brisk, exactly what you need when you’re watching the clock. The restaurant was full yet it seemed quiet and hushed, as though all the other diners were on the same mission as ourselves….no time for dawdling!
Walking distance from Temple Bar Hotel - 20 seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment